Sunday, May 17, 2009

The 10 Greatest Doo Wop Songs (Part 5)

continued from last post

9)I Wonder Why- Dion & The Belmonts

They recorded this song in 1958 and it was their first hit, going to number 22 on the billboard charts that same year. Dion would go on to some make some of the greatest records ever, with and without the Belmonts, but it all starts here. Listen to the opening of this song and it's just like Sonny says to the bikers before they're massacred in A Bronx Tale, "Now you's can't leave".





10) Duke of Earl- Gene Chandler

When the drum changes rhythym at the start of the chorus it's one of the greatest moments in popular music. This rightfully went to number one on the charts in 1962 and held that spot for three weeks. The lyrics aren't serious until at the chorus when he goes "Yes and I, oh I'm gonna love you, oh oh, Come on let me hold you darlin' 'Cause I'm the Duke of Earl". And after that it's all ok and everything in the world makes sense.






Epilogue) Goodnight Sweetheart- The Spaniels

I hate to leave you but I really must say goodnight sweetheart goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment