Wednesday, March 11, 2009

U2 And Their New Album (Part 4)

Whether this is a compliment or not, "No Line On the Horizon" is one of those albums that I feel like I should listen to a lot before giving an opinion on. But here's my opinion anyway, and if I'm wrong correct me. On hearing it a couple times my thoughts are 1) Rolling Stone was out of its mind to give it 5 stars, 2)Bono's voice sounds great 3)none of the songs are memorable. (Except the single "Put On Your Boots", which a lot of people didn't seem to like). I think it's great though, it's a real weird song, which makes it stand out next to the other middle of the road, unremarkable songs on the album.(The verse is a direct rip off of Elvis Costello's "Pump It Up" though) Actually, the verses in a lot of the songs are cool, and it's the choruses that disapoint. For example, look at the title song "No Line On The Horizon". The verse here sounds great, and Bono sings it right up from his fucking heart, but the chorus melody is something a 5th grader could have come up with. "No line on the Hu-ri--uh-zun, no line". If it would have taken you another 5 years to come up with a catchier chorus you should have stayed in the studio. Out of 5 stars it deserves 3 on my first couple listens. If I realize I was wrong after listening 50 more times I'll write about it. I didn't like "Astral Weeks" at first either, maybe this, also, is the greatest record ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment