Thursday, March 19, 2009

10 Greatest Irish Songs (Part 2)

Continued from last post

3)The Wild Rover- The best version is by The Dubliners. This song has one of the greatest choruses ever. I've never heard people singing it in a bar, but I'm sure people have, and more people should.





"I've been a wild rover for many a year
And I spent all my money on whiskey and beer,
And now I'm returning with gold in great store
And I never will play the wild rover no more.

chorus: And it's no, nay, never,
No nay never no more,
Will I play the wild rover
No never no more.

I went to an ale-house I used to frequent
And I told the landlady my money was spent.
I asked her for credit, she answered me "nay
Such a custom as yours I could have any day."

chorus

I took from my pocket ten sovereigns bright
And the landlady's eyes opened wide with delight.
She said "I have whiskey and wines of the best
And the words that I spoke sure were only in jest."

chorus

I'll go home to my parents, confess what I've done
And I'll ask them to pardon their prodigal son.
And if they caress (forgive) me as ofttimes before
Sure I never will play the wild rover no more."




4)Eamonn An Chniuic- This is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, it's all sung in Gaelic though, and I just looked up what it actually means for the first time. It's a complicated story but it has to do with an Irish man who was dispossesed of his land by the British and became an outlaw. I'll put up the lyrics but this song is so pretty that you don't really even need them. I remember driving to my grandfathers funeral and listening to a Clancy Brothers version of this song and feeling like it was the most perfect thing ever written. And my grandfather wasn't even Irish. (My other one was though)




"Oh dark is the evening and silent the hour
Oh who is that minstrel by yon shady tower?
Whose harp is so tenderly touching with skill
Oh who could it be but young Ned of the Hill?
And he sings, "Lady love, will you come with me now?
Come and live merrily under the bough.
I'll pillow your head where the light fairies tread
If you will but wed with young Ned of the Hill.

Young Ned of the Hill has no castle or hall,
No bowmen or spearmen to come at his call.
But one little archer of exquisite skill
Has loosed a bright shaft for young Ned of the Hill.
It is hard to escape to this young lady's bower
For high is the castle and guarded the tower.
But where there's a will there's always a way
And young Eileen is gone with young Ned of the Hill"



5)Whiskey In The Jar- This song was covered by both Metallica and Thin Lizzy, the band that sang that song "The Boys Are Back In Town". Thin Lizzy's frontman was actually an Irish guy named Phil Lynott, who's mother was Irish and who's father was African. They actually had a big hit with it in 1973. This song, like "The Wild Rover", has a really catchy and great melody. It also has amazing lyrics. It's about a guy who robs a "Captain Farrell" and then brings the money back to his girlfriend. However his girlfriend is actually secretly involved with Captain Farrell herself, and she betrays the narator of the song who is then arrested and taken prisoner. Here's the Thin Lizzy version. Phil Lynott had a great voice. Died in 1986 at age 36 from a liver and kidney infection. There's a statue of him in Dublin now.





"As I was going over the far famed Kerry mountains
I met with captain Farrell and his money he was counting.
I first produced my pistol, and then produced my rapier.
Said stand and deliver, for I am a bold deceiver,

musha ring dumma do damma da
whack for the daddy 'ol
whack for the daddy 'ol
there's whiskey in the jar

I counted out his money, and it made a pretty penny.
I put it in my pocket and I took it home to Jenny.
She said and she swore, that she never would deceive me,
but the devil take the women, for they never can be easy

I went into my chamber, all for to take a slumber,
I dreamt of gold and jewels and for sure it was no wonder.
But Jenny took my charges and she filled them up with water,
Then sent for captain Farrel to be ready for the slaughter.

It was early in the morning, as I rose up for travel,
The guards were all around me and likewise captain Farrel.
I first produced my pistol, for she stole away my rapier,
But I couldn't shoot the water so a prisoner I was taken.

If anyone can aid me, it's my brother in the army,
If I can find his station down in Cork or in Killarney.
And if he'll come and save me, we'll go roving near Kilkenny,
And I swear he'll treat me better than me darling sportling Jenny

Now some men take delight in the drinking and the roving,
But others take delight in the gambling and the smoking.
But I take delight in the juice of the barley,
And courting pretty fair maids in the morning bright and early"



Continued next post

No comments:

Post a Comment