Thursday, March 5, 2009

10 Greatest Albums Ever (Part 4)

Continued from the last post



9) Appetite For Destruction- Guns N Roses (1987) Never has a city been more immortalized in a rock album then Los Angeles is on this record. Dark circles under the eyes, willing to do anything for coke, not giving a fuck about the music, just wanting to fuck someone in the band. The only saving grace is a fading guitar riff, as she stumbles out of a car at 4 Am, forty bucks richer, adjusting her skirt. Raped, battered, abused, a part turned off forever. No more sympathy, no more pity, gentleness all gone. All that's left is to feel good, for as long and for as hard as a body possibly can. Souls gone numb can still get high, and can get you high also, as this album proves.



10) Doolitle- The Pixies (1989) I couldn't decide what the 10th album should be, and like I said in the first post, the things people consider to be the best is a constantly changing list. I remember how hard this album first hit me when I heard it though. I was a sophmore in high school and I had read somewhere that Kurt Cobain was a big Pixies fan so I went to the cd store and bought this album. It was so fucking catchy and original that it literally took me months to listen to the whole thing because I kept replaying the first like 9 songs. This is one of the very, very few bands that I can listen to and not believe that they weren't more famous. The Velvet Underground was great, for example, but I'm not surprised that "I'm Waiting For the Man" wasn't a hit single."Wave of Mutilation" and "Here Comes Your Man", on the other hand, sound like top ten singles to me. The Pixies were a far superior band to Nirvana and my guess is they'll be remembered like that. This record stil sounds like a fucking kick in the teeth (in a good way), while "Nevermind" sounds more over processed and bloated every time I listen to it. ("In Utero" still sounds fucking great though, and I thought about putting that on the list)

No comments:

Post a Comment