Thursday, March 5, 2009

10 Greatest Albums Ever (Part 3)

Continued from the last post.



7) My Aim Is True- Elvis Costello (1977) In 1977 The Sex Pistols first album came out, the Clash's first album came out, and Elvis Costello's first album came out. The first two albums stood as proof at the time that a bitter, violent, dangerous passion can force a dead heart to beat again. My Aim Is True is bitter, sad, and venomous, but not dangerous and not infused with visions of London streets running red with blood. Yet despite the knife being plunged in half as deep, My Aim Is True contains much less fat then the Sex Pistols and Clash albums, both of which contain a good deal of filler. Because he's probably the greatest rock songwriter ever he knew how to make the cuts that mattered, whereas the Clash and the Sex Pistols would sometimes flail wildly and cut out the heart.



8) I Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You- Aretha Franklin (1967) Sometimes she sings with good notes and not good emotion, and in that case who cares about good notes, But this album is the greatest soul album of all time, and she was never more sincere. I read somewhere once that this critic said he would sometimes read Shakespeare and have to look away from the page because it was so beautiful to him. I've never turned a song off for being too beautiful, but I understand that guy's sentiments and feel the same way at the "Take me to heart and I'll always love you" part in "Do Right Woman-Do Right Man"


Continued next post

No comments:

Post a Comment